There are many reasons to make exfoliation a part of your daily skincare routine.
Here are just a few:
- Improve Texture. One of the many of daily exfoliation is improving its texture. If your skin is rough or dry, exfoliating is an easy way to slough off dead skin cells to reveal a smoother skin texture.
- Get a Better Shave. Exfoliation before shaving removes dead skin cells that can clog your razor and prevent you from getting the closest shave. For silky smooth legs, exfoliate first then shave. Never do it the other way around. Freshly shaved skin is more likely to show bumps and irritation if you exfoliate after shaving.
- Anti-Aging. As skin ages, its natural ability to shed dead skin cells slows way down. Dead and dull skin cells accentuate fine lines and wrinkles and can make skin appear more dry and flaky.
- Prevent Acne. Regular exfoliation helps keep pores free of dirt, excess oil and debris which can clear up blackheads and whiteheads and help prevent breakouts. When pores get clogged with dead skin cells, natural oils from your skin mixed with bacteria get trapped in pores causing a blemish.
- Help Your Skincare Products Penetrate Better. Quality skincare products can be expensive so you want to be sure they are actually penetrating the top layers of your skin and doing their job. Regular exfoliation helps free the skin of dirt, dead skin cells and debris so your serums and moisturizers can absorb and perform at optimum level.
- Make a "Fake" Tan Look Less Fake. Exfoliating your skin is essential if you like to use spray tans or cream tanning lotions. Not only does exfoliation help to products absorb but it also gives skin tanning products a smooth, clean canvas, which allows for a more even and longer lasting tan overall.
If you have ultra sensitive skin like me that reacts (rash, breakouts) to many ingredients, try an exfoliating body cloth with just water.
Sugar scrubs also make an easy, one-step way to exfoliate head to toe in the shower. You'll feel like you just had a pampering spa treatment and your skin will be left polished and hydrated.
Here's an easy do-it-yourself scrub without all the unnecessary chemicals and preservatives. This homemade sugar scrub is made of only 4 simple ingredients that you may even have in your pantry.
Vanilla Coconut Sugar Scrub
1 cup raw organic sugar (or brown sugar)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil (or grapeseed or almond oil)
10 drops vanilla essential oil
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
Mix all ingredients with a stainless spoon in a glass bowl. Add more or less oil depending on how thick you like your scrub. Spoon into a glass container. (Mason jars work well because their tops seal.) Slather across skin head to toe in the shower and rinse well. Use caution as the bottom of your shower may get slippery from the oil.
You may be tempted to skip exfoliation to save time but don't miss out on its many benefits. Its one of the most key and effective steps in your skin care routine.